Sunday, 13 May 2012

Apocalypse Now?!


6 years ago, before this blog existed, I made this corny, mock-up poster as a joke after a single Tukuku Whiteshell mistakenly dropped into my inventory during the early stages of Dynamis, followed by Linkshell members jesting with "Hey Jkun, go start a relic"!


Well guys, it's 6 years too late, but here it is: The story about my Apocalypse.


Before I switched servers, my best friend Fortei was leaving the game to tackle college. He gave everyone in our Linkshell presents, and passed on his Novio Earring to me, telling me to sell it for a Kraken Club in order to "become the best Dark Knight". Well, I don't think I managed to achieve the latter, but I did manage to swap it for a Kraken Club, during the time both a Novio Earring and Kraken Club were being sold for 30 million gil. Crazy, huh?

Fortei's Kraken Club served me well. In Nyzul, Salvage, Einherjar, BCNMs, VNMs, ZNMs, you name it, I zerg it. Unless it was undead of course.

After coming back to the game, not only did the Kraken Club's price skyrocket, but it also became useless, unneeded, at least for a Dark Knight. With a price tag of 80 million gil and that one promise I made with Fortei still in the back of my head, I sold it, and started working on Apocalypse.


I had already completed Stage 1 before I left the game, but never had any intention to upgrade further. So after spending two weeks monitoring bazaars and the FFXIAH website, I finally got all my currency in order. A big thank you to Alirra who gave me a 30 Jadeshell donation, as she had them lying around after completing her Apocalypse!


So, what's next? Oh yeah! time to go kill some NMs in Dynamis and prove my worth in order to gain the respect I need to wield this legendary scythe.


Now that I think about it, how does this make any sense? I mean, not only is Velosareon incredibly confused as to which job he should come to Dynamis on, but technically I never really proved to anyone that I mastered the scythe. I just stole this guy's certification. If anything, this piece of papyrus proves I'm a god damn thief. Thanks to Rebme and Yuuzuki for helping me take him down!


Next up, a visit to the relic weapon upgrading goblin Switchstix and the 3 day wait begins!


Oh, that was fast.

Now onto the the final stage. Over the week I managed to get all the items needed, and even after staying up until 3am a couple of times, was only late for work once! What an achievement.




Uh oh, this guy was trouble! Rebme and I tried a THF/PUP duo with Soulsoother head, but the haste and drain weaponskills overwhelmed us at around 30%. So, luckily, we teamed up with a nearby Japanese player and not only did we take down my Animated Scythe, we also took down his Animated Dagger, and then proceeded to grab our Necropsyches!



Done! We still had a lot of time left over in Dynamis Xarcabard. Getting time extensions, pop items, and killing the NMs only took us 20 minutes, but I don't even want to think of how much of a grueling task this would have been at 75 before the whole structure of Dynamis was changed. Phew.


With all these items in hand, I paid one last visit to Castle Oztroja to get my Stripeshell, then travelled to Gustaberg with my little rag-tag group of friends.


Well, there it is. The screenshot I waited years to take. While some people worked hard every week for years to complete a relic, I kind of feel like I cheated by walking straight into one, all thanks to Fortei's present 6 years ago. However, FFXI, and it's players, have changed a lot over these last few years.


Relic, Mythic, even Empyrean, to some people, are the ultimate goal of FFXI. To some, a relic is just a one of many "okay" weapons they are trying to collect in order to boost their FFXIAH.com ranking by a digit or two.


To others, it is a wall, a piece of "required" gear in order to advance further in the game, especially now that pick-up groups are disgustingly picky with what kind of player can join in their adventures, obliterating skill in favour of weapons or equipment.


But to me, relic was a dream, and a promise, one that is now giant, golden, and stuck to my back.


Here's to the future! May many fights, drops, and missed Catastrophes give me as much joy as I have been anticipating for years!


Thank you, everyone, players and readers alike! Rebme for all her help with everything ever, Alirra for the Jadeshell donation, Fortei for the Kraken Club that started this adventure, and THANKS FOR BEING THERE IN SPIRIT LOLUDED, my new friend, and fellow Apoc owner. Anyway!

12th May 2012 - Apocalypse complete!


Oh, and enjoy the now blog header!